A few NM dogs down..

12Ring

The morning started off slow and I was starting to get bummed out. On the fourth stand of the day It got fun. I was glassing some pretty open country and I spot a bunch of crows eating on a dead calf about 3/4 mile out. After sitting there for about 5 minutes I see all the crows take off at once. I look through the swarovskis again and I see two coyotes now feeding on the calf.

I had a nice little draw and a few trees between us so I decided to try to stock them. When I get to about 400yds I hear the coyotes fighting. I peak out of the draw and now there is only one big coyote feeding. I decide to crawl to the last little bit of cover so I have a closer shot. When I get to 225yd I notice the other coyote is back feeding too. I lay prone, get a good rest and decide to wait for them to line up so I can try to kill both with one shot. Not even a minute and they line up. I relax, squeeze the trigger and hear a PING. Both dogs haul butt out of there and I realize I shot the top strand of barbwire on the fence. It was 20yds in front of them. I thought I was over the top strand but there was one more that blended in.

5th stand I call one in with the secret sound
wink.gif
AKA wood pecker and I shoot him straight on at 125yds.
100_4351.jpg

6th stand I call another on in with the secret sound
wink.gif
AKA snow shoe 2 and I shoot him broadside at 90yds. He spins a and runs off. I follow blood (a lot of it) in the snow for about 150yds and then the snow runs out. I even found a big piece of bone in the snow. Well the snow ran out and the trees got thick and I couldn't recover him. I think my 58gr vmax splashed on the shoulder. I have had it happen before but normally they don't go anywhere.

While I was looking for him I hear a coyote challenge barking in the distance. I hit the challenge on the fox pro and a minute later I hear him closer and he is just going off. He wouldn't keep quite for more than 20seconds so I decide to hit the challenge every now and then and try to stalk him. After about 200yds I spot him pacing back and forth and he is still going off. I crawl to a spot I can get a rest and now he is about 200yds. I bark, he stops and I let it fly. Hit him perfect and he goes right down. He is big for the area I hunt.
30Lbs.
100_4358.jpg

This is another beautiful NM sunrise.

100_4349.jpg

HOM%20-%20Banner.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I hate the sound of a bullet hitting wire. It's a sound all it's own. lol

Good job on the coyotes. Ya ain't suppose to tell your secret sounds though. What's the fun in that... lol

Originally Posted By: doggin coyotes I hate the sound of a bullet hitting wire. It's a sound all it's own. lol

Good job on the coyotes. Ya ain't suppose to tell your secret sounds though. What's the fun in that... lol

I was surprised how loud it was when it hit that wire. Especially from over 200yds away. And ya I'm just having a little fun with the secret sound term.

Back